Colossians 4 verses 17 and 18
17 And tell Archippus, “See to it that you complete the ministry you received in the Lord.”
18 I, Paul, write this greeting by my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you.
And tell –
- Meaning Paul asked the Colossian church members to speak and encourage Archippus directly.
- Probably a minister of the Colossian church. See below.
- Archippus is only mentioned in the NT twice: This passage in Colossians and the passage below in Philemon.
- [Phm 1:1-2 NET] From Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, to Philemon, our dear friend and colaborer. to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church that meets in your house.
We can only piece together the following:
- Archippus was a Colossian who gathered in Philemon’s House church.
- Possibly he was Philemon’s son. Possibly, Apphia was his mother.
- Paul calls him a “fellow soldier” in the ministry.
- He was most likely a Minister at Colossi based on the below command.
- Ministers and leaders are also mentioned at the end of Hebrews just as this Minister is mentioned at the end of the list of names in Colossians chapter 4. Why do you think Paul mentions the Ministers and Leaders last? What can we learn from this example in church and in our homes?
- Philemon’s whole family may have been involved in serving the church. Can you think of families today that stand out in serving the Lord together? How does the example of these families motivate our families to serve the Lord?
- Paul calls Archippus a fellow soldier. Why do you think he chose that military term? Why do soldiers have such camaraderie?
“See to it that you complete the ministry you received in the Lord.” –
- Paul tells the Colossian church to directly encourage Archippus to…
- see to it – meaning that Archippus should self evaluate if he is..
- making replete (plenty), cramming, completing his ministry that …
- he received in the Lord – said to remind him not to forget his calling and commitment to the Lord’s work.
- 2 Timothy 1:6 (NET) 6 Because of this I remind you to rekindle God’s gift that you possess through the laying on of my hands.
- Can you think of ways leaders do not ‘complete’ their ministry?
- Can you name some practical ways to encourage your Pastor to complete the ministry he received in the Lord?
- We all serve God and others in some way. How does this command encourage you to fulfill your specific ministry?
18 I, Paul, write this greeting by my own hand. –
- Meaning although someone else scribed what Paul previously dictated, here Paul ends this letter with his own hand writing. This was Paul’s common way to end his letters to prove their authenticity.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:17 I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand, which is how I write in every letter.
Remember my chains –
- Meaning that Paul was in prison at the time he wrote this letter. He asked the Colossians to remember his imprisonment – most likely he mentioned this so they would continue to pray for him.
- Christians are suffering persecution even in today’s world. If a prisoner for Christ today asked for you to remember their imprisonment, what would this motivate you to do?
Grace be with you –
- chár-is means graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act. (Strongs).
- Gratifying – Webster defines as giving pleasure or satisfaction
- For example, she was a gracious host, or she speaks in a gracious manner.
- So “grace be with you” closes the Epistles as a sufficient summary of all the blessings that can be wished Christian readers. (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, grace, section 4).
- The sense is that Paul wishes the readers of his epistles pleasure and satisfaction in their lives.
- As the letter started, so it ends.
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
Have You Affirmed Your Archippus?
True leaders put themselves last. They are the servants of all. Remember, I came not to be served, but I came to serve and give My life a ransom for many.
Continue to be strong for My Kingdom like a soldier. Enjoy the camaraderie of my servants.
Encourage your whole family to serve Me.
Be grateful for your spiritual leaders. Pray for them. Affirm them. Encourage them to fulfill and do their best for the ministry I have given them. I have also given you responsibilities. Do them with diligence.
Don’t forget to pray for those who are suffering persecution for My name.
Grace to you. I want your best. I want you to feel a sweet peacefulness.