Titus 2 verses 3 through 5
3 Older women likewise are to exhibit behavior fitting for those who are holy, not slandering, not slaves to excessive drinking, but teaching what is good.
4 In this way they will train the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children,
5 to be self-controlled, pure, fulfilling their duties at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the message of God may not be discredited.
Context: In verse 1, Paul commanded Titus to speak to others of the good behaviors that go with those who follow the healthy teaching of the gospel. Now Paul lists good behaviors specifically for older and younger women.
Older women – the Greek word is presbytis, the male version of the word is presbytēs. The root word is presbus which means elderly.
likewise – just as the older men where encouraged in certain good behaviors, likewise the older ladies …
are to exhibit behavior fitting for those who are holy-
A) behavior – meaning her…
- demeanor – her appearance, and the way she seems to be to others.
- deportment – It’s the way she stands and moves. It’s the manner in which she conducts herself.
- She behaves not like a person who is lost, but as a person who is..
B) holy – this Greek word means sacred, consecrated to God, and reverent which means she is very respectful toward God, others, and herself.
- Can you name an older woman who carries herself in a way that you admire?
What are her specific qualities you admire?
- Can you give examples of how an older lady has shown respect toward God, others, or herself?
not slandering – the first of two behaviors that oppose respectful conduct.
- The Greek word for slander is where we get our word for diabolical.
- The word describes the works of the Devil.
- The Greek word means to be a traducer which means to tell lies about someone.
- It means to expose, to shame, or to blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation. Remember how Satan misrepresented Job.
- What is the difference between a gossip and a slanderer?
- What corrupt motive may drive an older lady to slander others?
not slaves to excessive drinking – the second behavior which contradicts respectful conduct.
Just as the older men should be Temperate, so the older ladies should not be a …
A) Slave – the Greek word is doulo’o and means to enslave, that is, she becomes enslaved to …
B) drinking – the Greek meaning is wine.
- What may cause an older lady to become a slave to alcohol?
- In today’s culture, what other chemicals might an older lady become enslaved to?
but teaching what is good –
A) But – meaning in contrast to the two previous bad behaviors, instead she is…
B) teaching what is good – the Greek word is a compound word which means she is an…
- Instructor of the
- beautiful, right, good, valuable, and virtuous.
- In what ways may an older woman teach a younger woman?
- Name some categories where younger ladies need taught?
In this way they – meaning by the older ladies’
- Respectful conduct,
- Their example of neglecting bad behaviors, and by
- Their teaching good things, they ….
will train the – the Greek word means to…
- to make of sound mind
- to discipline
- to correct
- to restore one to their senses
- to moderate, control, curb, disciple
- to hold one to their duty
- to admonish, to exhort earnestly
- What may hold an older lady back from correcting a younger lady?
- What specific things for a younger woman in our culture need correction?
- What are wise and unwise ways to correct a younger person?
- What should you do if a younger person will not listen nor curb their bad behavior after your correction?
younger women – this Greek word for younger, neos, is where we get our prefix, neo, which means new, young, or fresh.
to love their husbands – this compound Greek word contains the Greek word for man and the Greek word, philos, which means…
- friend – a person you like and enjoy being around. A person who helps and supports.
- fond – a feeling or showing friendship or love.
- loving – a feeling or showing love. Very careful and thorough- painstaking in your care.
- dear- highly valued, precious.
- affectionate – a feeling or showing love or affection.
- What are ways a wife may show she loves her husband?
- What may hold a woman back from loving her husband?
to love their children – this compound Greek word is the word for children combined with the same Greek word, philos, mentioned above for husbands. Young women should be fond of her children.
- What are ways a mother may show love to her children?
- What may hold a mother back from showing love to her children?
to be self-controlled – this same Greek word is used to describe an Elder in chapter 1.
The Greek word means…
- sound in mind; sane;
- moderate in opinion and passion;
- curbing ones’s desires and impulses
In other words, she has good sense, and she thinks clearly about herself, the circumstances around her, and the people around her. She doesn’t get caught up in passions. This word is very similar to the word, temperate.
If you were a young lady, how would you know if your passions are too extreme?
pure – the Greek word means…
- clean – free from moral corruption or sinister connections of any kind
- Figuratively it means..
- innocent – not guilty of a wrong act. Harmless in effect or intention.
- modest – observing proper social and moral correctness in dress and actions and speech.
- perfect – complete. Lacking in no essential detail.
In our culture, what pressures influence young professing Christian ladies to rebel against being clean, harmless, modest, and complete in their character?
fulfilling their duties at home – this is a compound greek word.
A) the first part of the word means house or family.
B) the second part of the word has two meanings
- She is a guard or watch or keeper of the house – like a gate keeper.
- She works at home, is busy at home, she cares for the home, she fulfills her duties at home, she is domestically inclined.
- Who or what is the young lady protecting her house from?
- What hinders a young lady to adequately guard, watch, or keep her family safe?
- Why is it good for a lady to work at home, be busy at home, care for the home, fulfill her duties at home, and be domestically inclined?
- Does this mean a lady should not work outside the home?
- How may this verse apply to ladies that work outside the home?
- Why do you think this instruction was given to young wives and not to young husbands?
- Should this instruction also apply to young fathers? If yes, why, if not, why not?
kind – the Greek word means she is …
- Which means she is…
- good natured
- What may rob a young lady from being kind?
- Everyone has times of being grouchy, but if this is a lifestyle, then how can a young lady change?
being subject to their own husbands–
A) subject – the Greek word means to subordinate and to obey
B) their own – not subordinate to every man, but obedient to her own …
C) husbands – her man.
- Can you think of other scriptures where it is taught for the wife to be submissive to their husband?
- Does this instruction mean that the young wife should not have a say in the matters of the family?
- Why did God order the family with a hierarchy? What are the advantages of this structure?
- How can this hierarchy be abused?
so that the – meaning the result of these good behaviors is the….
message of God –
A) message – Greek word is, logos, and means some word that is spoken. Here it means the words of …
B) God – the Greek word is, theos, and in this context means the supreme divinity.
may not be – lest God’s words be…
discredited – the Greek word is blasphemeo which means if the young ladies are disobedient to these instructions then God’s words are discredited which means God’s words are..,
- Vilified – to say harsh and critical things about. To lower in estimation or importance. To utter slanderous and abusive statements against.
- Reproached – an expression of rebuke and disapproval.
- Railed at – to revile or scold in harsh, insolent, or abusive language.
- Reviled – to speak about in a very critical or insulting way
- Blasphemed – to talk about God or religion in a way that does not show respect.
- Calumniate – to utter maliciously false statements, charges, or imputations about.
- Why would others speak evil of God’s words and the gospel because of the poor behaviors of young wives and mothers?
- Why do you think Paul challenged young women with this grave responsibility but not the young men?
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
Why is the Behavior of Women Important to the Gospel Message?
Be thankful for the godly ladies in your church. They are wonderful examples of loving their husbands, loving their children, and living for My glory.
Although this passage was written specifically to ladies, you also should be respectful, a teacher of good by words and example, self controlled, kind, pure, loving your children, and guarding and keeping your house that My message will be confirmed by your transformed life.
In your culture, families are falling apart. Both wives and husbands are being distracted from guarding their children and marriages. In your situation, do not neglect your children. When you are home, be really – home. Though your children are independent, keep watch over them with time and prayer.