Titus 2:14 (NET) 14 He gave himself for us to set us free from every kind of lawlessness and to purify for himself a people who are truly his, who are eager to do good.
The context before this passage is our training for holiness through God’s grace while we await for the second appearing and glory of Jesus. Now, Paul further teaches the significance of Christ’s work and purpose of His first appearing.
- Hos means who, which, what, that
- In context, the NET translated the word as He.
- This word is describing the great God and Savior, Jesus Christ mentioned in the previous verse.
- díd-ō-mi means to give.
- he-au-toû means himself, herself, itself, or themselves
- In this context it is translated as, himself.
- hyp-ér means for.
- Eg-o is first person pronoun I, me, or my. Here it is translated in context as us.
- John 6:51 (NET) 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats from this bread he will live forever. The bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
- John 10:17 This is why the Father loves me – because I lay down my life, so that I may take it back again. 18 No one takes it away from me, but I lay it down of my own free will. I have the authority to lay it down, and I have the authority to take it back again. This commandment I received from my Father.”
- Galatians 1:4 (NET) 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from this present evil age according to the will of our God and Father,
- Why is it so hard for us to give money to others? What possessions does Jesus give to us?
- Why is it so hard for us to take time away from our family to volunteer and serve strangers? What did Jesus leave to serve us?
- Who would you rather consider donating one of your organs to? A hard-working family-man or a rebellious-drug addict?
- Yet look how Jesus gave.
- Romans 5:7 (For rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person perhaps someone might possibly dare to die.) 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- How can Christ’s example of giving himself inspire us to be better givers?
to set us free from –
A) Set free –
- ly-tró-ō means to ransom or redeem.
- Webster defines ransom as money that is paid to free someone who has been captured or kidnapped.
every kind of –
- Pas means all, any, every or the whole.
- An-om-i-a is a noun and means illegality.
- Nomia means law, while A gives it the opposite meaning. Thus it could mean no law or lawless or violating the law.
- He ransomed us from all of our illegalities.
- What did Jesus free us from?
- Colossians 2:14 (NET) 14 He has destroyed what was against us, a certificate of indebtedness expressed in decrees opposed to us. He has taken it away by nailing it to the cross.
- What price was paid to ransom us?
- 1 Peter 1:18 You know that from your empty way of life inherited from your ancestors you were ransomed – not by perishable things like silver or gold, 19 but by precious blood like that of an unblemished and spotless lamb, namely Christ.
and to purify –
- kai is a conjunction and in this context means, and.
- Thus, not only did he free us from every illegality, but his ransom was also to…
B) purify –
- kath-ar-i-zo means to cleanse.
- This does not mean that he cleansed our body like taking a hot bath. Nor does it mean baptism.
- But when he ransomed us, this washed us clean from all impurity in God’s eyes, and we are now a special people set apart for Himelf as mentioned later in this verse.
- 1 Corinthians 6:11 (NET) Some of you once lived this way. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
- This cleansing was not only a cleansing in a spiritual sense, but it also changes our will in this physical realm by giving us a desire to do good works as shown later in this verse.
- Titus 3:5 (NET) 5 he saved us not by works of righteousness that we have done but on the basis of his mercy, through the washing of the new birth and the renewing of the Holy Spirit,
for himself –
- He-au-tou in this context means, himself.
a people –
- La-os means a people in general.
who are truly his–
- Per-i-ou-si-os – means beyond usual, that is, special (ones own).
- Can you think of an event where a person became special to you?
who are eager to do good –
- Ze-lo-tes – means a zealot which means to have warmth of feeling for or against something.
- Webster defines zealot as a person who has very strong feelings about something (such as religion or politics) and who wants other people to have those feelings : a zealous person.
- Webster defines zeal as a strong feeling of interest and enthusiasm that makes someone very eager or determined to do something
B) to do good –
- Er-gon means to work, toil, and act.
- Kal-os means beautiful and good, that is, valuable or virtuous for appearance or use.
- After your spiritual birth, did you have a zeal to do good deeds?
- After your spiritual birth, how did your desires change?
- After your new birth, what works did you have a zeal to do that you did not have before?
- What may it mean if you never became zealous to do any good works?
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
Has Christ’s Cleansing Caused you to be Zealous?
I gave up My comfort with My Father to come for you. I have given you an eternal inheritance and Heaven itself. I have even given you My life on the cross. Your failure to keep My ordinances enslaved you to sin and the curse of the law. Yet my blood and body were spent for your freedom.
Will you now follow My example and be giving to others? I gave Myself for you. Will you give yourself to Me?
My ransom and My Spirit also washed and cleansed you. You are now set apart clean and special to Me.
By My ransom the Spirit has now given you a birth. You are now alive toward Me when you were once dead. My Spirit dwells in you and is changing your will. Your will is being changed to love Me, to resist sins, to be less selfish and more giving, to pray for others, and to teach others My words.
You are now My son.
You are now free.
You are now clean and are special to Me.