Bible study with Chris and Brianne.
5 Through him we have received grace and our apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles on behalf of his name.
6 You also are among them, called to belong to Jesus Christ.
7 To all those loved by God in Rome, called to be saints: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ!
Through him we have received grace and our apostleship-
• Meaning through Jesus Christ mentioned in the previous verse.
• Meaning the apostles (Paul and Timothy) Romans 16:21.
B) Received grace-
• Two possible interpretations.
• First, meaning God’s Divine favor by which the apostles were made saved from their sins.
• Second, not speaking of saving grace, but rather grace to do the work of an apostle.
• (Thayer’s Greek Lexicon) used of the power to undertake and administer the apostolic office.
• Romans 15:15-16 (NET) 15 But I have written more boldly to you on some points so as to remind you, because of the grace given to me by God 16 to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. I serve the gospel of God like a priest, so that the Gentiles may become an acceptable offering, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
C) Our apostleship- see the previous passage study for the definition of an apostle.
to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles on behalf of his name-
A) to bring about the obedience of faith-
- Meaning the purpose of their apostleship.
- Meaning to give others the choice to obey trusting in the gospel or to disobey by not trusting in the gospel.
- Jamieson, Faussete, and Brown commentary: that is, in order to men’s yielding themselves to the belief of God’s saving message, which is the highest of all obedience.
- John 6:29 (NET) Jesus replied, “This is the deed God requires – to believe in the one whom he sent.”
- Acts 6:7 (NET) The word of God continued to spread, the number of disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly, and a large group of priests became obedient to the faith.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8 (NET) With flaming fire he will mete out punishment on those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
B) among all the gentiles-
• Meaning all of the gentiles that Paul speaks with wherever he goes (the gentiles are his main audience in Rome).
C) on behalf of his name-
• Meaning the Apostles are doing this work among the gentiles for Christ’s name.
• God gave Paul a purpose. How can we determine God’s purpose for us?
You also are among them-
- Meaning the believing gentiles in Rome are among the other gentiles who have the obedience of faith mentioned above.
called to belong to Jesus Christ. –
- Meaning those believing gentiles in Rome are called to come to Jesus.
- John 6:44-45 (NET) 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to me.
To all those loved by God in Rome –
• Not speaking of all the Romans, but God’s love is referring to those believing Gentiles in Rome who are called above.
called to be saints-
• Meaning that the believing gentiles in Rome are called to be sacred and set apart for Him.
• Thayer’s Greek Lexicon defines saint as set apart for God, to be, as it were, exclusively his.
• Strong’s Definition for the Greek word means, sacred.
• Explain the time in your life when you experienced God’s calling to come to Him through faith in Jesus Christ?
Grace and peace to you-
• Paul’s common greeting in his letters.
• Meaning he desires they will experience God’s spiritual favor (grace) and harmony (peace).
from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ-
• Meaning by whom the blessings of grace and peace flow.
• God the Father, the provider, the authority, and Father to Jesus and his children
• The Lord Jesus Christ meaning our Master, Savior, and the Anointed one.