See attached link for my PPT presentation on The English Reformation.
1. REPORTING TIME PERIOD , November 2017 to January ,2018 ,
1 From Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God.
2 This gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures,
3 concerning his Son who was a descendant of David with reference to the flesh,
4 who was appointed the Son-of-God-in-power according to the Holy Spirit by the resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord.
By Bob, Chris and Brianne
From Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle-
• Meaning Paul, previously named Saul, identified himself as a servant of the Lord, and he recalls his calling as an apostle.
• Strong’s Definitions: δοῦλος; doo’-los; a slave (literal or figurative, involuntary or voluntary; frequently, therefore in a qualified sense of subjection or subserviency)
• from δέω; deh’-o; to bind
• a person held in servitude as the chattel of another
• one that is completely subservient to a dominating influence
• Thayer’s Greek Lexicon
• called to (the discharge of) some office: κλητός ἀπόστολος, i. e. divinely selected and appointed
• Strong’s Definitions: ἀπόστολος; apóstolos, ap-os’-tol-os; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ (“apostle”) (with miraculous powers.
• John Gill : an apostle was one that was (1) immediately sent by Christ, and had his (2) authority and doctrine directly from him, and (3) had a power of working miracles from him, in confirmation of the truth of his mission, authority, and doctrine.
(1) immediately sent by Christ
• Acts 22:17-21 (NET) 17 When I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance 18 and saw the Lord saying to me, ‘Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.’ 19 I replied, ‘Lord, they themselves know that I imprisoned and beat those in the various synagogues who believed in you. 20 And when the blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing nearby, approving, and guarding the cloaks of those who were killing him.’ 21 Then he said to me, ‘Go, because I will send you far away to the Gentiles.'”
(2) authority and doctrine directly from him,
• Galatians 1:11-12 (NET) 11 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 For I did not receive it or learn it from any human source; instead I received it by a revelation of Jesus Christ.
3) had a power of working miracles from him, in confirmation of the truth of his mission, authority, and doctrine
• Mark 16:20 (NET) 20 They went out and proclaimed everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word through the accompanying signs.]]
• Hebrews 2:4 (NET) 4 while God confirmed their witness with signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
• Acts 14:3 (NET) 3 So they stayed there for a considerable time, speaking out courageously for the Lord, who testified to the message of his grace, granting miraculous signs and wonders to be performed through their hands.
• Why does the idea of being Christ’s slave rub against our fallen human nature?
• How can we distinguish God’s call?
• What is the difference between the Apostles of the Bible vs those that may be called apostle today?
Set apart for the gospel of God –
• Meaning Paul was separated to teach God’s gospel.
• Strong’s Definitions: εὐαγγέλιον, euangélion, yoo-ang-ghel’-ee-on; a good message, i.e. the Gospel.
• Luke 2:10,11 (NET) 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid! Listen carefully, for I proclaim to you good news that brings great joy to all the people: 11 Today your Savior is born in the city of David. He is Christ the Lord.
• 1 Corinthians 15:1-8 (NET) 1 Now I want to make clear for you, brothers and sisters, the gospel that I preached to you, that you received and on which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message I preached to you – unless you believed in vain. 3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received – that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, 4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day according to the scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as though to one born at the wrong time, he appeared to me also.
This gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures-
• Meaning the Gospel was promised by God through the Old Testament scriptures and prophets. See below Old Testament verses.
When the Messiah would arrive is foretold
• Daniel 9:24-26 (NET) 24 “Seventy weeks have been determined concerning your people and your holy city to put an end to rebellion, to bring sin to completion, to atone for iniquity, to bring in perpetual righteousness, to seal up the prophetic vision, and to anoint a most holy place. 25 So know and understand: From the issuing of the command to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until an anointed one, a prince arrives, there will be a period of seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It will again be built, with plaza and moat, but in distressful times. 26 Now after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one will be cut off and have nothing. As for the city and the sanctuary, the people of the coming prince will destroy them. But his end will come speedily like a flood. Until the end of the war that has been decreed there will be destruction.
The Virgin Birth foretold
• Isaiah 7:14 (NET) 14 For this reason the sovereign master himself will give you a confirming sign. Look, this young woman is about to conceive and will give birth to a son. You, young woman, will name him Immanuel.
Location of his birth foretold
• Micah 5:2 (NET) 2 (5:1) As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah – from you a king will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origins are in the distant past.
John the Baptists ministry foretold
• Malachi 3:1 (NET) 1 “I am about to send my messenger, who will clear the way before me. Indeed, the Lord you are seeking will suddenly come to his temple, and the messenger of the covenant, whom you long for, is certainly coming,” says the LORD who rules over all.
Christ’s Miracles foretold
• Isaiah 29:18-19 (NET) 18 At that time the deaf will be able to hear words read from a scroll, and the eyes of the blind will be able to see through deep darkness. 19 The downtrodden will again rejoice in the LORD; the poor among humankind will take delight in the Holy One of Israel.
Arriving to Jerusalem on a donkey
• Zechariah 9:9 (NET) 9 Rejoice greatly, daughter of Zion! Shout, daughter of Jerusalem! Look! Your king is coming to you: he is legitimate and victorious, humble and riding on a donkey – on a young donkey, the foal of a female donkey.
Suffering for our sin is foretold
• Isaiah 53:5-9 (NET) 5 He was wounded because of our rebellious deeds, crushed because of our sins; he endured punishment that made us well; because of his wounds we have been healed. 6 All of us had wandered off like sheep; each of us had strayed off on his own path, but the LORD caused the sin of all of us to attack him. 7 He was treated harshly and afflicted, but he did not even open his mouth. Like a lamb led to the slaughtering block, like a sheep silent before her shearers, he did not even open his mouth. 8 He was led away after an unjust trial – but who even cared? Indeed, he was cut off from the land of the living; because of the rebellion of his own people he was wounded. 9 They intended to bury him with criminals, but he ended up in a rich man’s tomb, because he had committed no violent deeds, nor had he spoken deceitfully.
How he would suffer is foretold
• Psalm 22:1-18 (NET) 1 My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? I groan in prayer, but help seems far away. 2 My God, I cry out during the day, but you do not answer, and during the night my prayers do not let up. 3 You are holy; you sit as king receiving the praises of Israel. 4 In you our ancestors trusted; they trusted in you and you rescued them. 5 To you they cried out, and they were saved; in you they trusted and they were not disappointed. 6 But I am a worm, not a man; people insult me and despise me. 7 All who see me taunt me; they mock me and shake their heads. 8 They say, “Commit yourself to the LORD! Let the LORD rescue him! Let the LORD deliver him, for he delights in him.” 9 Yes, you are the one who brought me out from the womb and made me feel secure on my mother’s breasts. 10 I have been dependent on you since birth; from the time I came out of my mother’s womb you have been my God. 11 Do not remain far away from me, for trouble is near and I have no one to help me. 12 Many bulls surround me; powerful bulls of Bashan hem me in. 13 They open their mouths to devour me like a roaring lion that rips its prey. 14 My strength drains away like water; all my bones are dislocated; my heart is like wax; it melts away inside me. 15 The roof of my mouth is as dry as a piece of pottery; my tongue sticks to my gums. You set me in the dust of death. 16 Yes, wild dogs surround me – a gang of evil men crowd around me; like a lion they pin my hands and feet. 17 I can count all my bones; my enemies are gloating over me in triumph. 18 They are dividing up my clothes among themselves; they are rolling dice for my garments.
The resurrection foretold
• Psalm 16:10 (NET) 10 You will not abandon me to Sheol; you will not allow your faithful follower to see the Pit.
• Who is Paul writing to within Rome? See Romans 1:5-6.
• Why would Paul refer back to the Old Testament scriptures and Jewish prophets when speaking to Gentiles?
• What should be our attitude in studying the Old Testament?
concerning his Son who was a descendant of David with reference to the flesh-
• The Son, meaning Jesus in his divinity, the second person of the Trinity.
• Joseph was a direct descendant of King David (tribe of Judah). Many scholars believe that the genealogy listed in Luke 3 is actually of Mary instead of Joseph ( although Joseph is listed because females are not included in genealogies). However. Other scholars believe that the decent from David can only be proved through Joseph, Jesus’ ‘adoptive’ father.
• Jesus reference to the flesh means He was born into human form – not only the Son of God but also the Son of Man. The flesh was needed that as a man he could die for man.
• Thayer’s Greek Lexicon for flesh. σάρξ sárx, sarx; Meaning the body; the body of a man; used of natural or physical origin, generation or relationship.
• 2 Samuel 7:12-16 (NET) 12 When the time comes for you to die, I will raise up your descendant, one of your own sons, to succeed you, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He will build a house for my name, and I will make his dynasty permanent. 14 I will become his father and he will become my son. When he sins, I will correct him with the rod of men and with wounds inflicted by human beings. 15 But my loyal love will not be removed from him as I removed it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will stand before me permanently; your dynasty will be permanent.'”
• Matthew 1:1-2 (NET) 1 This is the record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. 2 Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,
• Matthew 1:16 (NET) 16 and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, by whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ.
Do you know of any friends or family who were adopted and then received an inheritance from their parents?
Why did Jesus need to come in the flesh?
Why did Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, have to come through the line of David?
Can you explain how Jesus’s two natures were useful for our redemption?
who was appointed the Son-of-God-in-power according to the Holy Spirit by the resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord-
This is a difficult passage with several interpretations. We agree with with the…
Cambridge Bible for Schools and College commentary
The present passage will thus mean: ‘He was declared to be the Son of God, with power, (even as the Holy Ghost foretold,) in consequence of the ressurection.’
We accept the translation, Holy Spirit, instead of, Spirit of holiness, as other English versions translate the phrase. By translating as Holy Spirit, all the persons of the Trinity are mentined in this passage. Other English versions translate this phrase as Spirit of holiness which then refers to Jesus’ divine nature that appoints Himself in contrast to his human nature spoken of in the previous verse.
Acts 13:33-35 (NET)
33 that this promise God has fulfilled to us, their children, by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second psalm, ‘You are my Son; today I have fathered you.’ 34 But regarding the fact that he has raised Jesus from the dead, never again to be in a state of decay, God has spoken in this way: ‘I will give you the holy and trustworthy promises made to David.’ 35 Therefore he also says in another psalm, ‘You will not permit your Holy One to experience decay.’
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
Don’t be afraid to be My slave. I will give you desires in how to serve Me. I will direct your path to serve Me in ways that fulfill those desires I created within you.
Start moving, and I will guide you where I want you. As you serve, your desires will be confirmed and strengthened to prove to you that this is My calling for you.
Titus 1:1-3 Mandarin Chinese and English
Titus 1 verses 1-3
1 From Paul, a slave of God and apostle of Jesus Christ, to further the faith of God’s chosen ones and the knowledge of the truth that is in keeping with godliness,
2 in hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the ages began.
3 But now in his own time he has made his message evident through the preaching I was entrusted with according to the command of God our Savior.
1 神的仆人、耶稣基督的使徒保罗（这是为着 神选民的信心，和那合乎敬虔真理的知识； 2 这都是根据永生的盼望，这永生就是没有谎言的 神在万世以前所应许的。 3到了适当的时候， 神就借着福音的宣讲，把他的道显明出来 。照着 神我们救主的命令，这宣讲的使命交托了我）
From Paul –
A Jew and Roman citizen who was once the enemy of the gospel but is now dedicated to its furtherance after meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus.
Discussion Question: Like Paul, how has the purpose of your life changed after your faith in Jesus?
a slave of God –
Meaning Paul is God’s servant. His life is humbly dedicated to his Master, Jesus Christ.
Discussion Question: Do you remember a time when you surrendered your life to serve Jesus?
and apostle of Jesus Christ –
Apostle is the English derivative of the Greek word ἀπόστολος, ap-os’-tol-os.
An Apostle is one sent with orders directly by Jesus Christ, and their words and authority are confirmed by their miraculous works.
Acts 26:15 (NET) 15 So I said, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And the Lord replied, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.
Acts 26:16 (NET) 16 But get up and stand on your feet, for I have appeared to you for this reason, to designate you in advance as a servant and witness to the things you have seen and to the things in which I will appear to you.
使徒行传 26:15Chinese Standard Bible (Simplified) (CSBS)
2 Corinthians 12:12 (NET) 12 Indeed, the signs of an apostle were performed among you with great perseverance by signs and wonders and powerful deeds.
哥林多后书 12: 12 我在你们中间，以各种忍耐，用神迹、奇事和大能，作为使徒的凭据。
to further the faith –
Paul states the purpose of his service is to further the faith. In other words, the Apostle Paul is working for the faith of God’s chosen ones from place to place.
Discussion Question: Do you remember when you first chose to have faith in Jesus Christ?
of God’s chosen ones –
Meaning the ones that God chose before the world began.
The Bible clearly teaches that man must believe with his will,
yet the Bible is equally clear that God has chosen those who believe.
The Bible leaves the reconciliation of these two ideas a mystery.
and the knowledge of the truth –
Additionally, Paul was to further the knowledge of the truth which means the gospel message.
that is in keeping with godliness –
Meaning the truth will result in a reverent life toward God within the believer.
Discussion Question: How has the truth influenced you to live a godly life toward God?
in hope of eternal life –
Meaning those in the faith and who are living out the knowledge of the truth are anticipating confidently eternal life.
which God, who does not lie, promised before the ages began
Meaning eternal life for his chosen ones was promised before the world began.
2 Timothy 1:9 (NET)
9 He is the one who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not based on our works but on his own purpose and grace, granted to us in Christ Jesus before time began…
提摩太后书 1:9Chinese Standard Bible (Simplified) (CSBS)
But now in his own time he has made his message evident –
Meaning that although this promise was made before time began, now this message is being made known through Paul.
through the preaching I was entrusted with –
Meaning the method of how the message was made known is through preaching and proclamation.
Paul was trusted with this message by God.
How do you think Paul felt to have such an important responsibility entrusted to him?
according to the command of God our Savior –
Meaning Paul was directly commanded to preach this message.
Acts 26:16 (NET) But get up and stand on your feet, for I have appeared to you for this reason, to designate you in advance as a servant and witness to the things you have seen and to the things in which I will appear to you.
Jesus’ disciples were also commanded to preach.
This ‘Great Commission’ extends to all Christians.
Matthew 28:19-20 (NET) 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
马太福音28:19-20 Chinese Standard Bible (Simplified) (CSBS)
19 所以你们要去，使万民成为我的门徒；奉父、子、圣灵的名给他们施洗[a][b]； 20 凡我所吩咐你们的，都教导他们遵守。看哪，我就天天都与你们同在，直到这世代的终结。”
How can we be better prepare to proclaim the gospel?
1 Thessalonians 3:9-13
9 For how can we thank God enough for you, for all the joy we feel because of you before our God? 10 We pray earnestly night and day to see you in person and make up what may be lacking in your faith. 11 Now may God our Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you. 12 And may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we do for you, 13 so that your hearts are strengthened in holiness to be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
Context: In the previous passage, Paul learned of Timothy’s report that the Thessalonians were firm in their faith. Now Paul expresses his thanks for them, his continued desire to visit them, and his desire for God to cause them to abound in love that their character is strengthened in holiness.
For how can we thank God enough for you, for all the joy we feel because of you before our God? –
We pray earnestly night and day to see you in person and make up what may be lacking in your faith –
What holds us back from praying for other’s faith night and day ?
In what ways does consistently attending church and meeting with other believers mutually help make up what is lacking in our faith?
How does consistent study of the scripture make up what is lacking in our faith?
Do you remember a time when you had serious doubts in your faith? How did you get through the trial?
Now may God our Father himself and our Lord Jesus direct our way to you –
Explain how to understand the balance of our prayers, our desires, and our actions with God’s sovereign plan?
And may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we do for you –
Explain how the Lord may ’cause us’ to abound in love?
Can you give examples of how we show love to those within the church?
Can you give examples of how we show love to those outside the church?
Can you think of very immature people in your life that test your love?
so that your hearts are strengthened in holiness to be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints-
Explain how specific sins against others weakens our moral purity (holiness)?
Explain how loving those who are ‘difficult’ to love strengthens our moral purity (holiness)?
Why do you think Paul associates loving others with being blameless before God the Father at the coming of Christ and all His saints?
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
How is The Lord Causing You to Abound in Love?
Are you praying night and day for the faith of others? Your prayer life is improving, but you need to love others more to make this spiritual discipline of prayer firm in your life.
Keep sharing your faith with other believers. Listen too. Mutually make up what is lacking in each other’s faith. My scripture is complete. Keep studying hard to grow in your faith.
Your church is doing well loving each other, but you need to improve in loving others outside the church. Pray as a body about this.
Personally grow in your love toward those who are difficult to love. Love is patient. It is not easily angered. I have placed them in your life to cause you to abound in love.
What will you be found doing when My Son arrives with His saints? I will mature you so you will be ready.
1 Thessalonians 3:5-8
5 So when I could bear it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith, for fear that the tempter somehow tempted you and our toil had proven useless.
6 But now Timothy has come to us from you and given us the good news of your faith and love and that you always think of us with affection and long to see us just as we also long to see you!
7 So in all our distress and affliction, we were reassured about you, brothers and sisters, through your faith.
8 For now we are alive again, if you stand firm in the Lord.
Context: In the last passage, Paul tells how he sent Timothy to the Thessalonians to strengthen and encourage their faith in the midst of their persecution. Now Paul tells how he received Timothy’s report of their faith.
So when I could bear it no longer, I sent to find out about your faith-
for fear that the tempter somehow tempted you and our toil had proven useless-
But now Timothy has come to us from you and given us the good news of your faith –
and love –
and that you always think of us with affection and long to see us just as we also long to see you-
So in all our distress and affliction, we were reassured about you, brothers and sisters, through your faith-
For now we are alive again, if you stand firm in the Lord-
Listening Prayer method – a method where you write what you think God would say to you after meditating and studying a Bible passage.
Has the Tempter Tempted You Away?
Remember how Satan tempted you in your great trial, and you wanted to fall away? Therefore, do not be angry with others who have fallen away. Instead have sympathy because Satan has deceived them. Pray for them to return.
Isn’t it amazing that I caused your faith to endure through your trial. You and so many others still have faith, love for each other, and a desire to gather together to worship Me. This is the miracle of the New Birth. Glorify Me in this.
Again, pray for those who have fallen away. I know they distress you. Rejoice in those who stand firm in their faith – especially those whose faith is being tried.
I finally completed this house church video. If you have dropped out of church over the years, then the house church may be just the thing you need to recommit your life and family to Jesus. Big churches are great, but if you have dropped out, then there may have been something missing. I encourage you to try a house church where you can reignite your love for God’s Word and prayer, grow in church participation, and develop deep and meaningful Christian relationships. God Bless.
1 Thessalonians 3:1-4
1 So when we could bear it no longer, we decided to stay on in Athens alone.
2 We sent Timothy, our brother and fellow worker for God in the gospel of Christ, to strengthen you and encourage you about your faith,
3 so that no one would be shaken by these afflictions. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.
4 For in fact when we were with you, we were telling you in advance that we would suffer affliction, and so it has happened, as you well know.
Context: In the last passage, Paul said he tried to return to the Thessalonians, but he was thwarted by Satan. Now he tells how he sent Timothy to know their spiritual condition through the persecutions.
So when we could bear it no longer, we decided to stay on in Athens alone. We sent Timothy, our brother and fellow worker for God in the gospel of Christ-
Piecing together the below passages from Acts 17 and 18 along with this verse it appears the following happened.
Paul was kicked out of Thessalonica after 3 weeks, and he went to Berea.
Some Bareans and probably Luke, the writer of Acts, accompanied Paul to Athens after Paul was also pushed out of Berea. Timothy and Silas remained in Barea.
Paul gave an order for Timothy and Silas to return as soon as possible. Then those who accompanied Paul to Athens delivered the order after leaving Paul and Luke alone in Athens.
Within that request for them to come or within another request which is not mentioned in Acts, Paul asked Timothy to check on the Thessalonians due to Paul’s great concern which he could bear no longer.
Timothy goes to visit the Thessalonians.
Paul remains in Athens waiting.
Paul goes from Athens to Corinth. Timothy and Silas return from Macedonia, and Timothy reports to Paul about the Thessalonians abiding faith.
to strengthen you and encourage you about your faith-
so that no one would be shaken by these afflictions-
For you yourselves know that we are destined for this-
For in fact when we were with you, we were telling you in advance that we would suffer affliction, and so it has happened, as you well know-
Will You Strengthen Those Who Are Shaken?
Unlike Paul, you are fortunate to be able to communicate so easily throughout the world with others. Do not neglect to strengthen and encourage those who are suffering and whose faith may be shaking. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them – who else is going to do it? Stabilize them by reminding them of My love and My sovereignty even in the midst of suffering. Encourage them by coming along side them by comforting them, advising them, persuading them, and teaching them to hold on to Me and to trust Me as they endure.
Do not forget, and be grateful for those who helped you during your suffering. Remember specifically how they helped you, and help others in the same way.
If for some reason you cannot contact them or they will not respond, do not neglect to pray for them. Trust that I will cause them to persevere.
1 Thessalonians 2:17-20
17 But when we were separated from you, brothers and sisters, for a short time (in presence, not in affection) we became all the more fervent in our great desire to see you in person.
18 For we wanted to come to you (I, Paul, in fact tried again and again) but Satan thwarted us.
19 For who is our hope or joy or crown to boast of before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not of course you?
20 For you are our glory and joy!
Context: In the last passage, Paul likened the persecution of the Thessalonians to that of the Judeans. Now Paul tells them how he desired to visit them.
But when we were separated from you, brothers and sisters, for a short time (in presence, not in affection) we became all the more fervent in our great desire to see you in person-
For we wanted to come to you (I, Paul, in fact tried again and again) but Satan thwarted us-
For who is our hope or joy or crown to boast of before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not of course you? For you are our glory and joy!-
Is There a Crown of Saints on Your Head?
Try to stay invested into those who came to faith in My Son through your labor. However, if you can’t stay connected, trust that I will watch over them and will make them grow without you.
Yes, I allowed Satan to hinder what you wanted to do. However, you needed to grow in that trial more than the way you thought was best. Trust Me. Even Satan’s hindrances will turn out for your growth because I am sovereign.
Don’t get distracted with the things of the world so that your hands will be empty at My Son’s coming. Keep serving Me. Invest time and resources into others for My name’s sake! Will My Son find a crown of saints on your head when He arrives?
1 Thessalonians 2:14-16
14 For you became imitators, brothers and sisters, of God’s churches in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, because you too suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they in fact did from the Jews,
15 who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets and persecuted us severely. They are displeasing to God and are opposed to all people,
16 because they hinder us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. Thus they constantly fill up their measure of sins, but wrath has come upon them completely.
Context: In the previous verse Paul thanked God that they accepted his words as God’s words and how those words continued to work in them. Now he likens them to the persecuted church in Judea.
For you became imitators, brothers and sisters, of God’s churches in Christ Jesus that are in Judea because you too suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they in fact did from the Jews-
who killed both the Lord Jesus-
and the prophets –
and persecuted us severely-
They are displeasing to God and are opposed to all people, because they hinder us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved-
Thus they constantly fill up their measure of sins-
but wrath has come upon them completely-
This phrase can be interpreted in two ways…
Will you Pray for the Persecuted and their Persecutors?
Just as the Christian Thessalonians and Judeans were persecuted by the Jews, My people are still being persecuted all around the world by various groups because they hold to the name of My Son. Be diligent to pray for them!!!
I will have wrath on those who reject My Son and harm My children. My Son was born in the flesh, did good, taught many good things, yet they killed Him. What else could He do to save the world? He has done it all. Warn those who reject My Son and persecute My children. Pray for them to receive forgiveness through My Son.
Persecutions around the world
I want God to ignite my words with a match made in Heaven so that they burn in the heart of everyone who reads them or hears them, making them a furnace that spreads God’s warmth and light around the world.
Apologetics | Theology
Truth based on facts
Let's seek the truth. Let's share in Christ.
A Godly Perspective To Refocus Every Day
A closer walk with our beloved friend.
Inspiring the world
Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness. (Mat. 6:33)
War Against Suicide and Depression
all for the glory of Christ
Date ideas that don't suck
Musical Notes For The Sent Ones
Ordinary Thoughts Given By God
Christian inspirational photography and poetry
Dreams and Visions